[wp-hackers] Username Madness

Casey Bisson casey.bisson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:39:38 UTC 2009

We use WP at my university where the user_login and user_nicename (which is
used in URLs) is not changeable by the user. And the first and last name
fields are set from our central user directory, leaving users only the
display_name (nickname) field to enter an alternate.

A user's
real first and last name as well as nickname are each very important
to supporting good searchability of the data. The role of WordPress in
this for me is that I'm using it as the application platform upon
which we're building out a number of applications, including a
new directory search.

I don't care about the DB structure, but please don't eliminate
the independent profile field for nickname.

--Casey

Information Architect
Plymouth State University
http://Plymouth.edu