[wp-hackers] Plugin repository not accepting a new tag?

mark waterous mark at watero.us
Mon Nov 2 00:15:52 UTC 2009

My apologies if this isn't a good place to ask this, but I wasn't sure
posting in the forums wouldn't fall on mostly deaf ears (and I don't know
where would be better to be fair).

I'm trying to tag a new release of a plugin in the repository, but it
refuses to commit my changes, and I'm a little frustrated not knowing what
I'm doing wrong. I modified the files in trunk, and checked them in without
any problems. I then tried to tag the latest release, via

$ svn cp trunk tags/0.2.5

Works fine, but then when I try to check in the new tag, I'm getting this
error:

$ svn ci -m "Tagging version 0.2.5"
Adding         tags/0.2.5
Adding         tags/0.2.5/kstats-reloaded.php
Adding         tags/0.2.5/lib/cleanup.php
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: File '/kstats-reloaded/tags/0.2.5/lib/cleanup.php' already exists

This didn't happen when I tagged the first two releases. Neither Trac nor
the SVN repo show my latest tags, yet the repository itself updated the
archive and claims to have 0.2.5 available, which makes me wonder if it's
just pulling it from trunk (despite the readme in trunk stating 0.2.5 as
stable and not trunk)? Can I just rm the directories and try it again, or am
I just going to make a mess of svn?

I feel really lost right now. :( Trying to figure out the problem on the SVN
FAQs isn't helping either, the only answer I could find for that error had
to do with file name case, resulting from using svn under Windows, yet I'm
running the svn on my linux box, so... bah.

--
Mark Waterous