[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Multiple RDBMS support

Alex Günsche ag.ml2008 at zirona.com
Sun Mar 30 22:07:27 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 13:51 +0300, Olexandr Melnyk wrote:
> a little bit late to discuss this, but I would like to apply for this year's
> GSoC to work on implementing multiple RDBMS support for WordPress. This
> could be done by moving all vendor-specific SQL functionality
> to classes, which inherit from a common interface (WPDB).
> Therefore, all scripts which interact with the database will do it
> through an abstracion layer, like follows:

We had this topic a dozen times (please read the archives[1], guys!),
and I believe that the consensus was that multiple RDBMS support is not
a good idea, mostly because of the fact that it is  preferable to use
the advantages of certain MySQL features over portability to DB systems
that don't meet most of the target audience anyway. Another fact is that
it would also requite plugin authors to write cross platform plugins.
This is not only very hard, because you can't expect them to test on all
major DB systems, but you would again dramatically limit possibilities
(like e.g. using FULLTEXT indices) where it's actually not required.

I'd propose, if you bring this topic up again, you would have to read
the archives (and refer to them, where necessary), and you would have to
bring new and very good arguments for multiple RDBMS support.

[1] http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/

Best regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net