[wp-hackers] Re: the_excerpt filters

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Mar 27 20:18:10 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Alakhnor <alakhnor at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>  > I'm not following you there. If you want to change something in the
>  > excerpt, you have both the_excerpt and get_the_excerpt filters. What's
>  > wrong with those?
>  >
>  It's because those filters (the_excerpt and get_the_excerpt) are applied
>  after the content filters. Therefore, whatever is built inside the content
>  has to be unbuild if you want the excerpt to not apply the same changes.

I'm really still not seeing the problem with that. What exactly are
you wanting to do that is so difficult here?

wp_trim_excerpt is basically gutting the post anyway. It's cutting out
all html tags of any sort, trimming down to the first 55 words, etc.
The whole point of it is basically to take a formatted post and
totally munge it up into some simple text. An excerpt can't contain
HTML or anything else that isn't text anyway (it would break the RSS
feed). So, what, exactly, are you wanting to do?