[wp-hackers] General consensus of "Premium Theme" concept

Glenn Ansley glenn at glennansley.com
Fri Mar 21 17:06:26 GMT 2008

Thanks Matt.
I was leaning heavily towards the WordPress business model based on Otto's
argument above. Your response helps to solidify that decision. Regardless of
one's views concerning the licensing debate, if you can contribute back to
the community and profit off of your own skills and services (highlighted by
the contributions) rather than the "product" I think people will respect you
more.  Furthermore, as Otto mentioned, niched products like plugins and
themes will eventually hit end-of-life or be distributed for free by someone
else. Good intention, service, and quality have a way of hanging around much
longer. Unfortunately, not everybody is after respect, contribution, and
long term business plans. Some people want the "easy money" now, burning
bridges as they go. I guess that's something the WP community will just have
to live with.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
Glenn