[wp-hackers] Greetings from FCKeditor

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 00:02:00 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Frederico Caldeira Knabben
<fredck at fckeditor.net> wrote:
>  These are our first steps inside the WP devs territory, so please point me
>  to the right directions to expose our ideas to you. A nice option would be
>  having a quick chat with anyone or many of you, to catch up your
>  impressions. Feel free to send me a message directly in that case.

Hi Fred,

As the guy who did most of the maintenance on it for two years, I can
tell you that a lot of work went into making TinyMCE fit with
WordPress as well as it does. Automattic sponsored this area all along
because it is such an important part of the software and not at all
simple. Personally, I have no special love for TinyMCE or any other
rich editor.

There are many who have asked for your editor to be added to WordPress
and at least one plugin-based implementation has crossed my radar. It
is very unlikely that there will ever be two rich editors in the core
WordPress package, so you have two options: develop or sponsor a
plugin to add your editor, or become the chosen one by integrating
your editor into core and demonstrating its superiority.

The person you must convince (after you have convinced users, devs,
testers, and experts) is Matt Mullenweg. To my knowledge, there has
not been produced an integration of FCKeditor into WordPress that
surpasses the value of the existing system. It would be wise to
discuss it with Matt before you invest much time or effort into such a
project.

Cheers,
Andy