[wp-hackers] Greetings from FCKeditor

Alex Günsche ag.ml2008 at zirona.com
Tue Mar 11 17:41:07 GMT 2008

Hi Frederico,

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 16:48 +0100, Frederico Caldeira Knabben wrote:
> These are our first steps inside the WP devs territory, so please point me
> to the right directions to expose our ideas to you. A nice option would be
> having a quick chat with anyone or many of you, to catch up your
> impressions. Feel free to send me a message directly in that case.

I'm not speaking for WordPress or for the members of this list, but only
for myself. Anyway, I'm afraid that chances aren't too good for other
editors than TinyMCE in WordPress. TinyMCE is incorporated quite deeply
into the WP admin area, and the WP TinyMCE contains much customization
by the WP devs.

Nevertheless, choice is usually a nice thing, and I know there are quite
some people who replaced TinyMCE with FCKeditor by plugins or core
hacks. However, in my opinion, offering a core choice in regards to the
WYSIWYG editor used by WordPress would require some very good arguments,
why TinyMCE is insufficient, or why FCKeditor is a good alternative, so
good that it justifies the bunch of additional work for integrating
another editor or abstracting the structures to allow other editors to
plug in.

But that's really just my two cents (and I don't even use WYSIWYG
editors).

Regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net