[wp-hackers] Re: The fixed with of the admin area

Jairus Pryor jairus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:25:50 GMT 2008

> You're right, it _is_ personal preference, however the guideline with
> WP tends to be "make it work for most, and everyone else can use
> plugins".  So... a simple "make this full width" plugin, and/or the
> previously suggested "max width" alternate stylesheet.
>
> The alternate stylesheet is the most elegant solution, as it is
> invisible to people who don't need it.  (Which is most.)

Given how varying the reactions are to the new interface (and it's not
even released yet), it's inevitable that there's going to be a lot of
plugins to correct or change design elements. The question is, it
seems to me, does it make sense to anticipate the most common UI
requests and add an 'interface' tab in the settings area for the user.
As it stands now, the admin interface is the only major user-facing
element of WP that there's no way to customize without additional
code.

Jairus