[wp-hackers] no-code-duplication i18n for WordPress

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Tue Mar 4 17:09:20 GMT 2008

Anirudh Sanjeev wrote:
> I feel that having a system to allow plugin authors translating the
> description is better. Can we have a system like this:
>
> Plugin Name: Name Of The Plugin
> Plugin URI: http://URI_Of_Page_Describing_Plugin_and_Updates
> Version: The plugin's Version Number, e.g.: 1.0
> Author: Name Of The Plugin Author
> Author URI: http://URI_Of_The_Plugin_Author
> Description-de: Description in german
> Description-fr: Description in french

Several issues I can see with that idea:

* The plugin author is not probably fluent in all the world's
languages. PO files allow translators to work separately from the
plugin author, and not have to modify the plugin file.

* There are now two places for text translations to go (most go in PO
file, only the description is in the plugin file).

* The plugin header could get pretty long if all world languages were
included, not to mention different locales for some languages (e.g.
Traditional and Simplified Chinese).

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software