[wp-hackers] wp-filesystem

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Mar 3 23:25:54 GMT 2008

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:22:41 +1100, spencerp <theone.andonly.mr.awesome at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, are specific folders going to need a specific CHMOD setting prior to doing this FTP-ing?
No, It shouldnt need to be done, Having read/write by the owner is all thats needed (644 i think)

> Like, ROOT/ 777 or 755, wp-content/ 777 or 755 or whatever?
In some cases, I think you need to have the uploads folder chmod'd (This is seperate from the wp-filesystem stuff) to allow uploads, i *think*, but WP does get around it usually (Until you goto wipe the WP installation and you cant delete the uploads.. somethings i've come accross a few times now)

> I don't mind doing the chmod thing, if it's only a temporary thing. Just wondering if this is going to need chmod similar to when ya upload images via the Write Post page... I had to chmod the wp-content/uploads/ folder(s) 777 I think it was, in order for it to work. But to me, leaving 777 chmod on folders is a baaaad thing to do... So I basically stopped uploading images via the Write Post section and rechmod the folders 755/ text files 644.

Ah.. I should've read the rest of your comment :P
If you had to chmod the folder to 777 to allow writing, then PHP cant just write directly into your folder without the permissions first being relaxed, Thats why the FTP support was written in to this, It allows PHP to communicate with the filesystem as the same user that you'd log in with FTP, it means, that PHP can read/write your files without any permission errors, or permissions needing to be relaxed.

It doesnt help much with the Image uploading(Hey, I dont think i'd want to have to put my ftp password in everytime i uploaded something) problems, but for pure administrative functions, its a much easier situation for the end user.