[wp-hackers] [meta-topic] Improving the S:N ratio of the list

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Thu Sep 27 12:45:14 GMT 2007

At 4:31 PM -0700 9/26/07, Daniel Cameron wrote:

>A "List Mom" as a third party would be able to guide the n00bs and
>discourage the inappropriate poster since the guidance from the lead
>developers or active subscribers are *somehow* taken personal or perceived
>as condescending, which burns their flames.
>
>You have my vote, if you can handle a bunch of maczealets then you can
>handle us...maybe. Although I would suggest the "Mom" to be anonymous.

    In my experience, it's better to have the List Mom be clearly
identified as such, not anonymous.  When you have anonymous or even
semi-anonymous Mommery, there are inevitably cries of "secret cabal"
and even worse.  Some of this likely comes from the the inability to
appeal or plead one's case.  And anyway, it's hard to be a Mom
without showing your face once in a while.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric at meyerweb.com)    http://meyerweb.com/eric/