[wp-hackers] Proposal: Add a Privacy Option: Anonymise Updates

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 27 05:38:12 GMT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:58:52 -0400, "Austin Matzko"
<if.website at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/26/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> > I'd support a plugin that replaces the URL with some known format
> > because I think that would be a useful metric to track as well. We
> > could use the popularity of that format to decide whether it
> > warrants a core option.
>
> I've written such a plugin, which I'm calling my Tinfoil-hat
> plugin.[1] (Travis Snoozy, I know you just said you were thinking of
> that name, but I had chosen it long before you said anything. Sorry.)

Well, I already applied for the name by the time I'd sent that mail.
I'll change it if I don't get the spot on wp-plugins, but I'm loathe
to go through and change 10s or 100s of names at this point unless
absolutely necessary. :)

For the time being, this cuts out all potentially-sensitive data
(language, PHP version, charset preferences) and allows spoofing of
the URL. I'll probably add the switches for each of the other sensitive
items tomorrow, and a pre-2.3 cutout for all the update options (I'm
sure there's some tinfoil I can apply to prior versions, too ;). I've
verified that the cut-outs work, the replacements correctly spoof, and
all the form fields save properly and work right.

The code's temporary home is at http://remstate.com/tinfoil-hat/

--
Travis