[wp-hackers] Re: WP package with spam plugin

Christian Höltje docwhat+list.wp.hackers at gerf.org
Wed Sep 26 20:38:14 GMT 2007

* Alex Günsche (ag.ml2007 at zirona.com) [070926 15:29]:
> Now some of the less savvy German WP users think that this is WordPress
> in general coming with advertising since 2.3, and some of the half savvy
> *and* paranoid even believe that there's a connection between the new
> update notification in WP 2.3 and the advertising in WPD's 2.3. This of
> course is very bad PR for WordPress.

> Now I wonder: Do you guys agree that including a commercial plugin into
> a WordPress package is spam? If so, what could be done about it?

It's open source.  There isn't much you can do.  The Tradmark idea has
merit; though it is dangerous emotionally to users and supporters.

**However**

Since it is open source, WP.org can take the German version, merge it
into SVN and release it shortly after the English one.  The German one
may not come out until WPD does the translation, but there is nothing
stopping WP.org from having an official German version making it clear
that WP.org doesn't approve of including a spam plugin.

^_^

Ciao!

--
I forsee a marked deterioration in American music...and a host of
other injuries to music in its artistic manifestations, by virtue—or

The Doctor What: Guru to the Gods                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC