[wp-hackers] Future of wp-hackers

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed Sep 26 03:16:17 GMT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:35:46 +1000, Travis Snoozy <ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Terribly sorry, but I'm going to veer sharply off topic onto wp-testers.
>
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:04:31 -0700, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
>> People talking past each other about PHP5 (AFTER a decision had been
>> made) generates hundreds of posts, yet Alex's post about unit tests,
>> which has the potential to have a real impact on the quality of WP in
>> the future, thuds with nary a response.
> <snip>
>
> ... this rather irritates me, because it never showed up in
> *wp-testers*. I asked about automated testing in May[1]. I spent
> several months developing tests in my spare time with SimpleTest so
> that I could finally automate testing on my plugin. This is exactly the
> kind of post that would've spurred me to response, but I never -got-
> it, because I wasn't subscribed to this list.
>
> Why is there a list for testers if important stuff like this isn't
> posted to it?

I thought Testers was a list mainly for those who do not wish to follow core development work, but want to test the final components, I'm subscribed to both lists, and the only time wp-testers really has any great traffic is around releases where they're bring ing up problems thats appearing in the builds. The direction of the Core is never really discussed in that.

m at mullenweg.com wrote:

> Perhaps a new mailing list with moderated membership, or that was only
> open to those who had made substantive contributions to the codebase
> would be a good middle ground between private discussions, IRC, and
> wp-hackers. I honestly don't know.

Personally i dont use IRC(as it mainly requires real-time communication), But another list might make sense, But at the same time, it could be a bad idea, It might push some people away if they cant get posting access.

A new (open post-by-invite-only)list specifically for those who do most of the core work might be able to work, but if that was to work, anything that should require community input would have to be posted to the wp-hackers list, And theres allways someone who will have a useful opinion who wouldnt be able to post to get frustrated; At the same time, it wouldnt be able to be closed list as others wouldnt be able to see the discussion and would feel that "WordPress is controlled by a select few, so much for the community".
I can however see that there'd just end up 2 lists with the same topics.. Ie. someone posts an issue on wp-hackers, devs talk about it on wp-private, some in wp-hackers dont get the messages and dont realise whats happened.   A Topic is raised in wp-private, and since others cant reply, posts get sent to wp-hackers and people talk about it there..