[wp-hackers] Summary of the update security & privacy discussion
Denis de Bernardy
denis at mesoconcepts.com
Tue Sep 25 23:38:19 GMT 2007
Much of the discussion is blah blah, really...
- The WP update notification procedure collects more information than it
needs to; Someone who deals with privacy-aware people raised a concern
- (Lots of trolling on the topic...)
- Matt dismissed the concern (the information is not stored and who cares if
it is), and pointed out a means to disable the WP update notification
procedure entirely as a workaround
- (More trolling...)
- Someone vented his frustration on slashdot (and digg?); Matt reprioritized
his day and sought to douse what now amounted to a greek fire
- (More trolling still...)
"WordPress.org collects such information only insofar as is necessary or
appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor's interaction with
WordPress.org" and "visitors can always refuse to supply
personally-identifying information" are simply not true. These two points
were what the trolling was all about in the first place.
- WP 2.3 got released as is
- The update procedure still collects more information than it needs to
Hope this helps...
More information about the wp-hackers