[wp-hackers] Packing JavaScript

Kevin Newman CaptainN2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 16:01:16 GMT 2007

I have been thinking about how to optimize the js files from WordPress
for a while as well (especially the ginourmous Prototype.js). There are
two problems that I can see with using packer.

The first is what you already mentioned. There can be problems if the js
has not been prepared with packer in mind (not using a semicolon after a
function assignment for example).

The second is that some of the included js libraries are already
compressed using either packer or something else (jQuery).

There is one way that I have been thinking could help quite a lot
though, especially for people like myself, who are on Windows hosts
which doesn't gzip by default.

Since WordPress has a queue script function, WordPress knows about all
the scripts that would be needed before they are output to the header
(assumption, I didn't look into the code yet). So why not glue all the
queued scripts together in a single file and then gzip them in one shot.
This would reduce the number of connections to the server, as well as
reduce the file size of the gzipped scripts.

And since it's going through php, we could add other performance
enhancing features, such as far future expires headers (we could
construct a url that contains information about the included files, and
their versions so that updates could be retrieved by clients, if things
need to change).

Once that's in place, we could even go ahead and look into adding some
experimental packer or jsmin or something else.

TinyMCE already has a similar feature (it packs it's many separate js
files into one, then gzips it using php).

Kevin N.