[wp-hackers] PHPMailer was a mistake

Jared Bangs jaredbangs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:31:55 GMT 2007

On 9/16/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> >> Unless we want to start using specific php5 functions, which
> >> IMHO seems unlikely in WP, it all just works.
> >
> > Forgive me, but isn't that what the entire argument is about?
>
> That, and presumably also security.
>
> -- Charles

Good point.

The good news (or bad news, depending on your perspective) is that PHP 5
will soon be a practical requirement regardless of whether individual
projects / apps will officially make the switch, because 4 won't be getting
security patches within less than a year from now. So everyone who's itching
to use 5 will just have to hold out a bit longer. :)

But seriously, in light of that EOL date, it seems like it would be
appropriate to have some sort of roadmap or at least an "official" published
statement for what the position of the WordPress project will be in regards
to PHP4 over the next year and beyond.

Even if the position is "we won't do anything that won't run in PHP4, even
for a period of time after it isn't supported anymore", it would be good to
get it out there.

Maybe it already is and I'm missing it? I know it's been discussed to death
here on the list, but I haven't seen it in a more public forum.

- Jared