[wp-hackers] Automatic feedback from users

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Sat Sep 15 17:41:21 GMT 2007

I think this is a great idea and would provide some excellent data to
base decisions on. It would also be fascinating data.

Questions:

1) At what point would we ask the user to give permission? You mentioned
the Upgrade script, I think that would be sensible, except, users are
"supposed" to disable all their plugins before they upgrade.

2) I've heard talk about auto-notifying users when plugins are updated.
Could we add this functionality? If each WordPress installation has a
unique ID we could easily gather stats.

3) Could we add a second question to the install? Currently we ask
"Notify XXX about new posts", we could also add "Notify WordPress.org
about my server environment, plugins and tell me about plugin updates".

I'd also be happy to put some time into this.

Cheers - Callum.