[wp-hackers] adding delete/autoload to options.php

Moritz 'morty' Struebe morty at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 13:31:30 GMT 2007

DD32 wrote:
> Now, Deleting, I realise that someone who doesn't know what they're doing could cause havoc with that, but they can do the same if they modify the value to an unexpected value, Many plugins don't clean up the options when removed, and some users i know end up with a couple of thousand options(Those who like to tinker with many plugins..)
> Perhaps a button, or check-box?

Deleting is quite a problem as you don't want to lose settings just
because you deactivated the plugin. What I did is to use
plugin_name_setting and delete all plugin_name_ settings if uninstall is
set up. Therefore there should be some thing be done on how plugins are
managed. Other systems (e.g. Typo3) make a difference between installing
and activating. I think it should be done. There still should be the
activation/deactivation hooks in case your messing around and something
will break if you get deactivated. But especially having a uninstall
hook would save you us plugin-developer a lot of trouble. And being able
to output errors on those hooks.

Cheers
Morty