[wp-hackers] Structured Blogging?

Stephane Daury wordpress at tekartist.org
Sat Sep 8 12:45:37 GMT 2007

On Sep 08, 2007, at 7:08, Alex Andrews wrote:

> On 08/09/2007, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
>> On 9/8/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking at both projects, I can already see the nightmare this will
>>> create with the teeming WP theme ecosystem.
>>>
>>>  From what I see, WP does use microformat in some places (rel for
>>> category widgets and such), but since each theme has its own take on
>>> the xhtml presentation layer, these plugins have rough seas ahead of
>>> them to satisfy their user base.
>>>
>>> I use microformats where/whenever I can (hcard, hatom, geotag, etc),
>>> but at the post and page level in WP, I have found no better way
>>> than
>>> to stick to the theme and template level for now (coupled with
>>> custom
>>> fields too).
>>
>> There's a reason why machine-readable and human-readable content have
>> been kept separate all these years.... I still haven't found a
>> convincing reason to not just use <link> tags instead..

I agree, but you can't have link tags in the body, and it's nice to
have things like the post authors data wrapped into an hcard for export.

> The Sandbox and derivatives have good microformats support. Though I
> am coding haudio into my record company management plugin, I very much
> doubt if even 10% of users will use it. Until the standard browser
> public become aware, and microformats are default in major browsers, I
> see limited takeup. I see the point from a technical and future proof
> side, but not so much for a user experience side.

The fastest adoption rate I see are sites like the hcard support in
Twitter, Flickr, Technorati, etc
FF3 (Gran Paradiso) is just in alpha, but the release schedules calls
for a code freeze in October 2007 and a first release early November,
which isn't that far off.

(Aside: what's your record company management plugin? A studio-owning
friend of mine might be interested)

> As for Custom Write panel, it has nothing to do with the theme, but
> simply represents the write form in another style, mainly for using
> custom fields.

Ah, but don't these custom fields have to be used at rendering time
to have any kind of meaningful use?

Stephane