[wp-hackers] Shared Knowledge for Developers

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Tue Sep 4 07:10:00 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 21:42 -0500, Jacob Santos wrote:
> As for Database Abstraction, more advanced coders would suggest what
> WordPress already does. By creating an API to wrap SQL, it allows for
> the SQL and Database Access Layer can be changed to fully support the
> new database. Doing so will most likely keep the same functionality
> working, which is what Database Abstraction tries to solve.

Indeed, and I think we had discussions on this lists of the benefits of
generic SQL support, and we decided (IIRC) that there are more benefits
of a specialized MySQL interface in order to have the advantages of
certain MySQL features (such as SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS).

I also remember that some people wanted to create Postgres and other
ports, though I don't remember if those were ever released, and if so,
if they're still maintained.

Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net