[wp-hackers] WP and Plugins DB connection conflicts

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 26 14:01:39 GMT 2007

If you want to access a different database entirely, you shouldn't use
the $wpdb functions at all, IMO. Do your own mysql_connect and such,
and you won't have any conflicts. And if you do want to access the
wordpress database, use $wpdb. Seems simple enough.

I think a lot of this problem is plugin-author-error as opposed to an
issue with Wordpress.

More to the point, it seems like an extremely bad idea to modify the
$wpdb to be forced to open a new link every time. It would add a lot
of overhead that might not always be absolutely necessary.