[wp-hackers] Re: Plugin could not be activated because it triggered

ozgreg wphackers at galleryembedded.com
Thu Jun 21 05:17:55 GMT 2007

robin.adr at gmail.com wrote:
> Just a side note, but I believe there may be clues in the error_log.
>
> But I think we should implement a custom, temporary error handler for
> activating plugins so we can actually show something to the user, because a
> blank screen and a cryptic message about a "fatal error" being "triggered"
> doesn't help much, when you think about it ;).

For me I am +1 on trapping errors by triggering extra php error trapping and capture / output those error messages, for my experience, relying on error_log's unfortunately is problematic as some hosting firms prevent real time access to error_log so I would always recommend having some kind of real time output in any case..

I would also recommend adding a hook on the plugin error event, like plugin activation so the individual plugin authors can also add addition code around plugin activation event..

I certainly would want to see something done quickly, at the very least a activation error hook (before) ob_end_clean() so at least we have a hope of capturing what is happening.

WPG2 Installation, Operation & FAQ Documentation (http://wpg2.galleryembedded.com/)