[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 22:21:51 GMT 2007

On 6/19/07, Leonid Mamchenkov <leonid at mamchenkov.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 6/19/07, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> > On 6/19/07, Marci O'Daffer <marci at odaffer.net> wrote:
> > > To the average user,
> > > "bookmarks" are in browsers and word processors and spreadsheets, but
> > > "links" are on websites, and take you from one website to another. So,
> all
> > > (or most?) things considered, I'm still camping with the Links folks.
> >
> > What with the semi-recent advent of "social bookmarking", I'd have to
> > disagree with you there. del.icio.us and other services all use the
> > term "bookmark". Think of it like a link with metadata. del.icio.us
> > bookmarks have metadata (tags, description, etc), WP bookmarks do too
> > (category, XFN, RSS feed, description, etc).
>
> There's a really huge crowd of web users who don't even suspect that
> their browser has bookmarking capabilities.

The same could be said about blogging 2 years ago.

  Bookmark is a foreign
> concept for them.

The very first browsers, from my own recollection, used either the term
"favorites" or "bookmarks"...

  Blogroll is a swear word.  They've recently
> realized that Links are a cool concept for, well, linking pages to
> each other...

Therein lies the discussion.  As technology and the use of archiving "links"
to other sites grows, so does the nomenclature associated.

I agree with both the original poster in the sense that even within the
code, the naming convention isn't very consistent or semantic, as well with
Otto that the technology associated with the web has evolved into something
more than a basic HTML entity.  I also agree that a core ability to define
each "tab" within WP is bad idea, as always, that ability should be
relegated to a plugin.

Your world seems very different though. :)

That's what makes all of this fun and worthy of discussion :-D