[wp-hackers] Security Releases Proposal

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Mon Jun 11 19:07:24 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 11:40 -0700, Lloyd Budd wrote:
> For example, step in my time machine:
> 2.1.4 would have been released if new severe security issues, instead
> of focusing that we were really close to releasing 2.2 and that it
> addressed the issue.
> 2.2 released
> 2.1.n released if any new severe security issue
> 2.2.1 released
> 2.1.n released if any new severe security issue, waiting on feedback
> regarding 2.2.1 then retire 2.1 branch.

I absolutely agree! Security fixes must be installed quickly, and admins
must be sure that there are (almost) no functional changes beyond what
the fix does. Feature upgrades may need the right time for deployment,
and if a security fix comes only with a major feature upgrade, people
tend to resign from upgrading. So I also think that it is crucial to
distinguish between security releases and feature upgrades.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
http://www.zirona.com/ | Hilfe für das HQ AC: http://www.prohq.de