[wp-hackers] 120-day release cycle

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Oct 2 03:36:49 GMT 2006

One of the biggest problems I think with WP is that our release cycle
can be quite erratic. It makes it hard for people to plan around
releases, because it's never quite sure when they're coming, and it also
allows development to go far beyond when it should as more and more and
more stuff happens.

2.1 still hasn't had a release, even though it's been very stable for
months.

I think as an experiment after 2.1, we should aim to do a release
exactly 120 days after when 2.1 comes out.

What could the release cycle look like?

2 months of crazy fun wild development where anything goes
1 month of polishing things a little bit, and performance
Feature freeze.
1 month of testing, with a public beta release at the beginning

After we're done and 2.2 is out, we can see how it went and decide where
to go from there.

What do you folks think about trying this type of release schedule out?

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com