[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Mar 5 04:26:14 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> - How do you think the Development model of WordPress is now? What are
> its strongpoints? What are its flaws? What do you think should be
> changed and what should be left the same?

I'd like codify something I already do, or at leasty try to do.
Sometimes I fall off the wagon during late night coding feasts when I
can't get ahold of anyone.

Every commit must be accompanied by a ticket.  Before commit, the code
needs to be reviewed by at least two people.  One person to do a regular
code review and another to do an integration/architecture review.  These
reviews should be logged to the ticket with a comment and "reviewed"
"arch-reviewed" keywords (or something to that end).  This is similar to
the Mozilla model.

http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/reviewers.html

I always try to get code reviews from one of our regular contributors.

http://wordpress.org/about/

And if it affects an area one of them has expertise in, I try to get an
integration/architecture review.  I go to Andy for tinyMCE, JS, AJAX,
and uploader stuff, for example.  Owen is good for capabilities, JS,
AJAX, plugin API, cron, and just about anything, really.  David and Mark
contribute all over the place and their approval always boost my
confidence in a change.  i18n work from Nikolay always goes right in.

I think this would be facilitated by a #wordpress-dev channel where we
could hang out and review bugs and keep conversation focused driving
development.

Ryan