[wp-hackers] Spam load

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Wed Dec 27 15:33:10 GMT 2006

> I use Maxthon with IE7 (been using Maxthon since the days of it being
called
> MyIE2). It makes tabbed browsing soo much easier with mouse gestures hehe.
Agreed I use it to, with IE7 at home and with IE6 at work.  Because it is
portable and doesn't involve an install it is the only decent option for
many office environments that have a policy against installing software.

AWStats doesn't detect Maxthon.  I suppose I should change that...  And my
log is too polluted with my visits to easily determine how much Maxthon
traffic I get.  It all looks like IE.  If IE7 had the click and drag feature
that opened a new tab or searched for the dragged content, I might switch to
pure IE7.  That's really all I miss.

> Actually what a lot of these spammers do is make a post manually via their
> browser and use a program like Smart Sniffer to get the packet header
> information.
Ah, so not only does it make sense to make it look like a real browser, but
it also is a laziness factor as, after all, why should they change any of
the data being submitted?

> I have been using BB2 + Akismet on my site. BB2 blocks around 33,000
access
> attempt per week and Akismet still catches about 600 comments a day.
Are you saying BB2 also reduces the load on your site?  I've only been using
Akismet and it's largely sufficient.  Every now and then I might have 2 or
three slip through, but then it is fine for another month or more.

> That is with wp-comments-post removed and renamed, so they are now
> going through and filtering out the form action.
Heh, I've pondered combining the wp-comments-post code with a nonce system.
Then actual comment submission page is dynamically generated per page via
the post number and some other unique seed and expires within an hour.

> Luckily my hosting company is very understanding
> about this and working with me to stop it.
Well it isn't your fault people are spammers... :)  Fortunately,
TheCodeCave's gotten only 103 spams caught by Akismet in the last two days.
So my current load is relatively small.