[wp-hackers] Lost Password

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Tue Nov 22 05:29:09 GMT 2005

Denis de Bernardy wrote:
> on free.fr, I recall mail and chmod were removed entirely (this may have
> changed since). They replaced it with a custom function with a different
> name on the one side, and a server side script that automatically chmoded
> stuff as required on the other.

If free.fr is doing free hosting (as best I can tell from the
translation I get) as they appear to be, then of course my previous
comments about the marketplace dealing with them deliberately breaking
things doesn't apply, and I am loathe to criticize free hosting services
that are providing PHP and MySQL for doing what they feel is necessary
given they have a different situation than paid services.

If they've removed the function entirely, then I presume that free.fr
users could put something like this in their wp-config.php

   if(!function_exists('mail'))
   {
     function mail(....
   }

and after doing the same for chmod they could use an unaltered WP and
not have to worry about extra work for upgrades.

- Ron