[wp-hackers] Usability problems with accesskeys

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:02:14 GMT 2005

On 11/10/05, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, let's collect some solutions in one place:
> * Disable the accesskeys while the editor is blurred. Actually not
> that hard to do.
> * Use only upper-case accesskeys. Takes ten seconds to patch. Are
> there any collisions with Alt+Shift+<letter>?
> * Revert accesskeys and write JS to capture Ctrl+<letter> only within
> the editor. By far the most work to implement. Would there still be
> any important key collisions?
> * Develop a "safe" set of accesskeys with zero or very few important collisions.
> * Code support and UI for custom accesskeys or JS-captured keys.
>
> Everyone concerned, please weigh in.

My vote would go for a combination of the first two options, disable
the accesskeys when the editor is blurred and make them upper-case,
I'm not aware of any existing ALT+SHIFT+<letter> shortcuts and a quick
google didn't reveal any although interestingly it brought up Nestle's
website (www.nestle.com) that uses ALT+SHIFT+<number> for menu
navigation so it could already be some sort of defact standard to
avoid collisions.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge