[wp-hackers] Usability problems with accesskeys

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 12:33:38 GMT 2005

I think we should revert 3020 (inclusion of accesskeys in tinymce).

Access keys are a great idea but have flawed implementations in all
browsers, which make using pages with them impossibly annoying. A
quick example: when I now go onto my Write Post screen and hit Alt-D
to select the URL bar (perhaps to navigate to another page), all I get
is the strikethrough button lighting up.

I won't talk much about this as there has been extensive discussion in
the past. See the following articles:

Mezzoblue: "I don't use accesskeys":
http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2003/12/29/i_do_not_use/
WATS: "Using Accesskeys: Is it worth it?":
http://www.wats.ca/articles/accesskeys/19
WATS: "More reasons why we don't use accesskeys":
http://www.wats.ca/articles/accesskeyconflicts/37

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net