[wp-hackers] RSD ( SVN Checkin #3009 )

Phil Ringnalda philringnalda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:15:18 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Phil Ringnalda wrote:
>> At least in theory: I suspect that saying the charset of the RSD file
>> is the weblog's charset when in fact it's US-ASCII might be an interop
>> problem.
>
> Really?

On third thought, possibly not. How many people are publishing from
WordPress in things like GB2312 that will make non-Chinese XML parsers
choke on the RSD? And what are the odds of not getting mojibake if you
try to push GB2312 through XML-RPC, anyway?

MT has been doing RSD since February 2003 with no charset specified at
all, despite being big in Japan; no matter what the weblog charset, you
have nothing but US-ASCII/UTF-8 in the RSD; every XML parser will
properly parse it if you declare it as UTF-8 or don't declare a charset
at all; for other declared charsets, some XML parsers (possibly
including the one that makes them think their RSS works) will accept it
and some will refuse it; beyond that I don't really know.

Phil Ringnalda