[wp-hackers] Setup fonts might be a tiny bit above average sizeunder some circumstances

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 15:09:58 GMT 2005

See, and here I thought you were complaining about the fact the smaller
fonts are pixellated and not anti-aliased!  I guess I'm used to seeing
interfaces that don't fit, especially em-based ones, given that em-size
changes based on your settings in your browser.  It's for that reason that I
myself moved my site back to fixed pixel sizes, which hurts usability at one
level but gives me design control.

I would agree that it was likely purposeful.  However, it may very well be
that the font being mapped to on your box has a base em size larger than
whatever was tested with, as well as possibly a larger character spacing
too.  Could also be that the Gnome browser is mapping a different (larger)
base font size, don't know.

I would guess it could be tweaked to be say 1.5em so that it fits on your
box, assuming your box is in some way a good 'reference' point to base off
of.  But I don't have a clean install I can 'reset' here at the moment --
anyone want to snapshot a windows-based screen (or Graeme can snap a linux
screen) that 'seems to look right'?

-d