[wp-hackers] Setup font madness

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Fri Nov 4 03:59:30 GMT 2005

_____/ On Thu 03 Nov 2005 23:43:37 GMT, [Mark Rosenstand] wrote : \_____

> Hey list,
>
> I was wondering if you are aware of how ugly the WordPress setup is on a
> default GNOME desktop.
>
> http://borkware.net/~mark/wp-setup.png
> http://borkware.net/~mark/wp-login.png

Putting aside the fact that "madness" is an overstatement to describe what
I  see above, it is a matter of which distribution you happen to be using.
It  varies depending on which fonts you happen to have installed. I agree,
however,  that  font sets can always be made more generous. Have  you  in-
stalled  any  TrueType fonts packages yet? If not, you are likely  to  see
more of the same in other Web sites.

I have just tried Ubuntu (GNOME) on a remote host, just as a proof of con-
cept.  It all looked fine to me, i.e. no low-resultion fonts. Catering for
each individual distro (they come with different fonts) is hard. The least
you  can  do is download more packages of font. There are no less  for  20
such  packages  in SuSE 9.3. The Microsoft(R) TTF package seems  to  cover
most circumstances.

Hope it helps,

Roy

--