[wp-forums] Security and Accountability

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sat Mar 4 13:31:34 GMT 2006

There are many hosts with many setups and as such WordPress
documentation cannot cater for all - so it approaches this by catering
for none. It does this for the above reason and also for another - so WP
cannot be blamed.
The fault is pushed to the user.
Yet no page at wordpress.org carries any advice on permissions.
The readme.html with the package carries no advice on permissions.
Codex carries no specific advice on permissions.

But sites either do not work because of permissions or are insecure
because of permissions. So they look to codex, they look to official
pages. And they find nothing because no-one will commit to writing
anything because they fear getting the blame.

But they ask in the forums don't they ?
They expect an answer from those of us there don't they ?
So devs and people who know all about perms and suchlike are content to
let forum helpers get it in the neck when things go wrong because they
won't write anything.
Nice.

If a webhost is asked to help with WordPress, they reply that they do
not support 3rd party scripts (even Yahoo but that's a whole new rant)
so maybe the forum helpers, when asked about permissions should reply:
"We are sorry but we do not support any aspect of server configuration.
Please ask your host, Apache and IIS for their advice. This is not a
WordPress issue."

Then at least we'd be in the clear too.

P.