[wp-design] The end is the begining is the end

Khaled Abou Alfa khaled.aboualfa at gmail.com
Thu May 4 20:44:51 GMT 2006

After thinking about this a bit, and then listening to Michael's podcast
where he announces that he's 'left' the shuttle team I got to thinking
about a sentence Matt said in his previous email:

* Shuttle isn't done, it's just getting started.*

However the way I see it, it actually has for the designers on the list.
For better or for worse, the design team (Bryan, Michael, Joen and
myself (with lots of hugs and kisses from Chris and Joshua)) have in
fact produced and provided an entirely revamped WordPress admin panel.
We've delivered what we promised. How we feel it will take the 'press to
the next level. Sure there are elements that will surely come through in
the implementation and I'll say this very clearly now, the second you
come up with something you're not sure about or how to implement
graphically or whatever I really hope you call on the team first to
solve the problem in a coherent manner, I will never shy away from those
responsibilities and I'm sure most people on the list feel the exact
same way.

However with the previous emails we've sent it's clear things are now
out of our hands. The shuttle project has delivered what it set out to
do in the first place, and for one I'd seriously like to say to everyone
on the list that you're my buddies and when we see each other (because
it's a terribly small world) first round is on me.

I see this as a cause for celebration :) as a job well done.

Is it integrated into the WP admin panel yet? No we've already discussed
this to death, it'll get there eventually. I don't think I'm jumping a
bit too soon here as we've sat on these designs for a couple of months
and had a couple of false starts in trying to implement the code from
our side. Nothing wrong, it's just opening it all out for everyone to
pick at. Some will like it, some will hate it, some will be indifferent,
but we did something about it rather than bitch about it, and that to me
is worth a great deal more. It's what makes open source projects special.

I've just been talking to Bryan and I'm really up for sharing with the
community what we've done. There's nothing to hide now and I've been
itching to discuss the decisions we've made as well. I know Joen's first
topic of choice will be. I'll talk colour :). We've built it well enough
I think that the work is ready to be shown. Any changes that are made
will be minor me thinks, it's not like we're going to change the colour
scheme to orange or anything :). So what does everyone think?

So to everyone on the Shuttle team, I'm really proud of the work we've
done, it shows a great level of care and attention to detail. Every one
of you guys seriously rocks.

We've completed our end of the bargain, Matty the baton is passed on to
you and your team of coding wizards and the rest of the wordpress
community :).