[wp-design] January is Upon Us

khaled Abou Alfa brokenkode at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:03:14 GMT 2006

Morning/Afternoon all,

It's January and hopefully we're all nice and refreshed and ready to rock
and roll. I'm actually seriously excited about finishing this off this month
as it's a long time coming. In order to hit this deadline I'm proposing we
actually put some milestones we'd like to hit for every week, and
effectively work towards those milestones.

Week 1
We should start right from the beginning so the Login page and the Dashboard
pages should be our priorities. From my end I've already begun sketching the
login page and I hopefully should have something to show to everyone
tomorrow morning. It's very simple but I really think it adds a great deal
to the style and aesthetic we're trying to go for.

We've made a couple of inroads towards the dashboard look and feel. I've got
a couple of more ideas that I want to hammer out as I'm sure everyone else
does. If you don't have the actual the actual psd then you can download it
from here:

www.brokenkode.com/shuttledev/shuttle_dash_v3-1.psd

The username is:user
The password is:batman

Week 2
Write page (which we have done a LOT of work for), so it's just a question
of making sure all the latest additions to WP 2.0 are in tune with what we
want etc. This week will allow us to question everything properly and make
the final decisions.

Manage pages
Although no work has been done here yet, there are many similarities in many
aspects of the design which we'll be able to copy the ideas throughout. So
this will also be key for further sections which include a search facility
and also a list of some sort.

Week 3
Presentation/themes, plugins and Users
Again based on how we present a list in the previous sections will allow us
to facilitate and copying things across (colours of the lists etc).

Week 4
Options and tying up any loose ends from the previous areas that we might
still be fighting about.

Coding
So effectively by the end of week 4 we should have our psds all ready to
rock and roll. I guess you guys could start coding the changes at the end of
each week while we move on to the next stage. This will make it even more
important for Bryan, Joen, Mike and I to get these things to you on a timely
basis. Joshua, Chris, Matt and Ryan can then sort it out between them how
they want to include all the design changes? Agree on a specific install
nightly that Ryan and co aren't going to fundamentally change from a
structural pov or something else?

Size of Text
This is an important one for Matt. I personally don't think we should cater
to the 50plus year old and make the rest of the users suffer for a small
percentage of the users with big and clunky text. I'm not saying reduce it
so that you can't read it but it shouldn't be the standard. As such I
propose we work at it in such a way that the text can be changed and
increased from the admin panel if the user wishes his text to be big that's
his option. That's the beauty of css and we should really be using that
power effectively. This should ideally speaking solve most of the arguments
we're bound to have once we've 'signed off' from a design pov our
'sketches'.

If anyone's got comments ideas whatever on the above just say so. We'll use
today as one to devise our battle plan accordingly. If I've omitted
something, again just add it in there. What are everyone's thoughts?