[wp-design] Categories / Tags in 1.6

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Sun Sep 25 21:09:38 GMT 2005

Tag clouds pop a warning bell in my mind.

To be quite honest, to me Tag Clouds are total misunderstandings.
Zeldman said it much better than I could:
"We who make websites must strike a fine balance between guiding our
users and allowing them to lead us. We listen but we also synthesize and
invent. We conduct user research but we interpret the results. We ask
what users want but we decide what they are /really/ telling us — and
we, not they, determine how best to fulfill the needs they didn’t
necessarily realize they were articulating."
http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0505a.shtml

So to be short: I think the current way of doing categories is fine. If
one needs 100+ categories, it we should be REAL tags, not categories.
Categories share the same metaphor as folders on a computer. They are
easy to understand, and the myriad of less savvy wordpress users love to
"categorize" their stuff.

I am not against adding tags. I am against treating categories as tags.