[wp-design] Shuttle Dash

Joen Asmussen joen at noscope.com
Fri Sep 23 22:15:55 GMT 2005

Very nice stuff Khaled.

One comment: The Dashboard is the ONLY page in a default Wordpress 1.6
installation that doesn't have more than 1 sub tab. And then you add the
Shortstats plugin, and you do get a second one. In other words, we
shouldn't remove the second row of tabs for the dashboard page. Not only
to keep concistency, but to allow plugin authors to add more tabs there.

> I'll start. I'm not very keen on the whole boxes for the headlines
> from the chosen blogs we've got. It would be cooler if you could
> actually pick which website you wanted to show up, maybe even add a
> few more prefered site or whatever. (This should be a list rather than
> these boxes that take up so much space. I like the technorati thing,
> but should we be including other blog options rather than
> concentrating on just one?

Well. I agree completely.

Programmers, don't get scared now, I have a point. ... So, has anyone
seen the new Google Personalized? www.google.com/ig

It's basically an aggregator of XML feeds, kinda like the dashboard.

I mention Google Personalized, not because we should have a drag/drop
rearrangable super ajax magical aggregator, but because it's really well
designed from a usability point of view. There's a category headline,
and there's a list of blue links below it. There's _no_ way you can
misunderstand how it works.

So, why don't we just do the same and categorize the current feeds and
align them nicely in boxes? A blue link does read much better than a
box. It really should be a no-brainer design.

> The blog information should be the main focus, rather than being
> relegated to the side there. It's the thing that changes the most, and
> it's effectively the most important part of the site for the user as
> well. Also I want to put anything in the moderation queue in RED.

Agree completely.