[wp-design] Links manager

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Sep 10 01:59:29 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 23:55 -0700, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> It seems like you guys are going to expand to another page soon, now
> that write seems pretty well covered.
>
> I was talking with Ryan a few minutes ago and we both agreed that the
> most hideous page in WordPress these days is the links manager. Anyone
> up for taking a stab at it?

Some thoughts...

Having preferences for each link category is a bit pathological.  Does
each category need a separate sort order, for example?  Let's choose the
sort order once and apply it to all link categories.  The same goes for
all of the other toggles.

I think before, between, and after should be eliminated.  Theme authors
usually hard code these values so that changes made in the link manager
don't bust their themes.  Layout should be controlled in the templates,
not the DB.  I don't know of any themes that reflect changes made to
these fields, so let's axe them from the UI.

Adding a link category should require one piece of information: a link
category name.

Ryan