[wp-design] A Quick Sketch

Michael Heilemann heilemann at mac.com
Thu Feb 17 12:36:33 GMT 2005

>http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.html

I don't think you can properly apply the term 'mystery meat' here. Mystery meat, in my opinion, is something that makes no sense at all, where the only way you can find out what it's supposed to do is by clicking it.

What we're doing is saying: Here are some advanced options. You might not need them, but now you know they're here if you do.

If we save display options in a cookie, I think we should go for individual collapses (perhaps within a single 'advanced' collapse :)

Sketch, sketch, sketch, spam, spam, lovely sketch.

I digress.

>> Large font in input box
>>
>> Grrr. Killing my darlings are we? ;)
>
> > Matt also: I actually really dig larger input for title, and it
>matches what we do with the register/login fields.
>
>I'm reeeally sorry to be all anal like this, and if it wasn't important
>to me, I'd shut my piehole. But this is what I do for a living. This is
>what people pay me to do.
>
>I'm not "against large fonts", but all input boxes in Wordpress behaves
>the same way. If one input box suddenly has a larger text size than
>others, it'll confuse people. If we go large font, we do it everywhere.
>
>With that said, I also think it's a mistake to make such a large admin
>login. It changes a simple login box from "system login" to a design
>element. "Hey, I'm supposed to write there?"

I must really disagree, and refer to--as an example--Flickr's inline editing. By and large I agree that we should stay away from widgets as such, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on this particular issue :)

Kind regards,
Michael Heilemann
http://binarybonsai.com