[wp-design] More logos

Khaled Abou Alfa khaled.aboualfa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:29:54 GMT 2005

Hey all good to see you back in the saddle Joen, missed you around here :).
Right I had a great little chat with Matt last week, and I was meaning to
actually type something in because lots of things did actually fall into
place for me, and I think once I've relayed the important parts you'll also
understand where Matt is coming from with his ideas for the branding. It was
literally down to a simple analogy which kind of clicked for me completely.

Talking about asthetics, we touched upon Blogger and what that logo implies.
For me it's about rough and ready, easy fast and fun. Okay Michael, Joen
this next part is what should basically set what we're aiming for. WordPress
is meant to be the Jaguar or Astin Martin of Blogging tools. So when Matt
keeps jumping for these simple logos there's a reason he's going more for
them than say the hearts. In my mind just that line sets the stage for what
the design of the branding should be. Elegance, polished, and impecably
designed is where we should be aiming.

Believe me I defended the hearts, but I did say that it doesn't fit with
what we're doing now, which it doesn't I guess, that's not to say it's bad,
just not were we're heading.

As for tabbed versus non-tabbed, since we're still at conceptual stage, I
think we should at least try different options. If we're not keen on them,
at least we've tried. The design and our confidence in the design will be
better for it for having done different approaches in the end, after all
that's why there's 6 and a bit people working on this :). If I gave even an
ounce of inspiration for you to go and dazzle, I'll be over the moon :).

I've got one idea that I'll try and get done this weekend, just been a MAD
week, and I've got a busy weekend ahead of me, but I'm really getting
excited about shuttle again.

Thinking about Phasing things in, I think that would a pretty good idea,
shouldn't Ryan be on this mailing list Matt?