[theme-reviewers] Need clarification on guidelines

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 30 07:00:53 UTC 2014

It would be best to say that that approach is allowed, but doing it with
enqueue is probably somewhat better form.

If you examine Twenty Fourteen, you'll see that it has a function in the
functions.php file called twentyfourteen_scripts(). This function is hooked
to the "wp_enqueue_scripts" action hook, and it loads all the various
scripts and styles and such

One of those styles is the main stylesheet, determined by
get_stylesheet_url(). It adds that stylesheet like this:

wp_enqueue_style( 'twentyfourteen-style', get_stylesheet_uri(), array(
'genericons' ) );

Note that it also declares the main theme stylesheet dependent on the
genericons stylesheet as well, to ensure that that stylesheet is also
loaded.

Having your stylesheets declared like this and enqueued can make them
easier to organize and reference, especially if your theme is complex.

-Otto