[theme-reviewers] Settings API required or recommended?

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Mon Sep 29 20:12:53 UTC 2014

Basically, theme authors should either be using the Settings API or Theme
Mods API if they're building a theme settings page.  It's not strictly
required to use the Settings API, but for the majority of cases you might
as well say it's a requirement because it's going to take care of a lot of
problems present with custom-built theme options pages.  There are, of
course, exceptions, but I don't think I've seen one yet here on
WordPress.org.

Ideally, we'd push theme authors to use the Theme Customizer as much as
possible, which would eliminate most issues with theme options.