[theme-reviewers] Why can't theme authors have a second version of a theme?

Weaver Theme weavertheme at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 16:24:53 UTC 2014

Well, that's a mess. I thought I was replying Bryan via private mail. But
now that what I said is public, I stand by it. Bryan or Trent in no way
suggested a lawsuit, but I stand by what I said.

Your little rule about theme naming is restricting interstate commerce.
Even though WP.org is a non-profit, volunteer driven organization, WP.org
is still the basis for an extremely large fraction of the world's websites.
You open the repository to developer's from all over the world. So you fall
under all sorts of USA and international law. This law would look very
unfavorably at the sort of restrictions that stop people from using a well
developed brand name, legally trademarked or not.

Whether you want to believe it or not, WordPress.org supports a huge global
economy in building websites. It is subject to trade law, and this branding
restriction not doubt violates countless laws over the world. You've
provided the mechanism for supporting commerce, and you can't arbitrarily
restrict it by this naming rule.

Sorry, but this is reality! You are bigger than you think, and you have a
huge set of responsibilities not to destroy commerce and people's
livelihoods based on this engine you've created.

Bruce.