[theme-reviewers] Why can't theme authors have a second version of a theme?

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Sat Sep 27 04:16:58 UTC 2014

My only intention here is to release a followup product to the most popular theme on the repo. If we cannot maintain my branding then we cannot reach our already established audience.

This is true of every author on WordPress.org, not just CyberChimps.

I am purposing that all theme authors retain the right to use their own branding across multiple products.

This current rule is forcing my company to rebrand it’s established product lines, and trust with our shared user base. One would think the WordPress admins would embrace theme authors who actually care about our users, and welcome discussions like this but instead all they seem to be doing is telling us what we can’t do with no alternative solutions.

I came to this e-mail list seeking a solution, and the only reason they can provide why we cannot maintain our branding is a slippery slope fallacy counter argument that doesn’t apply to this use case.

I understand that this rule was created with the intention of protecting theme authors, but in this case it is hurting users, and hurting theme authors which is why we need to revise the guidelines and amend the rule to allow theme authors to reuse their own brands.

All this rule is actually doing is communizing the WordPress theme repo, and stifling the cycle of innovation of theme authors.

If we continue down this path of communization, then I have my own slippery slope argument for all of you who disagree with me:

This rules means that once a theme becomes popular on the repo, you cannot release a new version as new technology becomes available without breaking millions of people’s websites.

This means every theme on the repo is now unsustainable, and the only way we can effectively upgrade our themes is to start from scratch every single time and rebrand.

Does this sound like an open source principle to you?

Because, it sounds looks and feels a lot like authoritarianism to me.

I have yet to hear a single proposal from any of the admins with an alternative solution that doesn’t force my company to completely rebrand our products which absolutely isn’t the purpose of this Theme Review Team, or the TRT Guidelines.

This rule needs to be amended. Branding is critical to all theme authors, and we shouldn’t be forced to rebrand every time we release a new product.

--Trent Lapinski
CEO of CyberChimps Inc.
http://CyberChimps.com
Twitter @trentlapinski