[theme-reviewers] Why can't theme authors have a second version of a theme?

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Sat Sep 27 00:05:15 UTC 2014

Otto,

How is it in the principles of open source to prevent theme authors from using our own brands? A restriction which is not applied to plugins. If I want to release CyberChimps Slider plugin, CyberChimps Security plugin, CyberChimps XYZ plugin I can.

Yet I cannot do the same thing for my themes?

I’m sorry, but this “rule” is ridiculous and needs to be modified not only for CyberChimps but everyone else. We should be able to control our own branding of our themes just the same as plugins.

Every major company from Apple to Samsung uses version numbers in product names. Examples: iPhone 6, Galaxy s5, etc. I shouldn’t have to rebrand an established product line because I want to release a new version.

Your slippery slope argument does not apply here. There is absolutely no harm that would come if theme authors are in control of the names of their themes and use similar branding. A simple distinction that once a brand name is established no other author can reuse it is all that is required to clarify the matter. For example, I shouldn’t be able to reuse another theme authors brand name, just as they shouldn’t be able to reuse mine.

However, this should not prevent a theme author from releasing multiple products under the same brand. Lets say for example I want to offer Responsive HD, Responsive Retina, Responsive New, Responsive XYZ, it shouldn’t matter. There is no logical argument you can make for why I shouldn’t be able to do so, as I’m already the original owner of the Responsive name and all the themes are created by the same author.

This is an open source community is it not? This a very narrow, and closed restriction that simply isn’t required. We shouldn’t be forced to retire 1.0 to reuse the name. The current system forces us to break peoples websites, how is that fair or reasonable?

--Trent Lapinski
CEO of CyberChimps Inc.
http://CyberChimps.com
Twitter @trentlapinski