[theme-reviewers] Modifying Default Gallery

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Wed Oct 8 05:27:26 UTC 2014

It would fall under our presentation vs. functionality guideline, which is
the primary guideline to me.  It just falls on the presentation side of
things.

The best way to look at it might be to break it down a bit.  It's the
gallery images (i.e., attachment post type) that are the content.
Functionality dealing with the generation/creation of these attachments and
most related data would fall under plugin territory.  The gallery output is
the presentation of that content.  This is the sort of thing where theme
authors should have complete freedom to experiment to see what neat things
they can come up with.

To answer the question as to whether we've allowed this before, the answer
is yes.  There are numerous themes in the repo that alter the output of the
gallery.

The one thing I'd recommend doing differently is for the theme author to
filter `post_gallery` instead of using `add_shortcode()`.