[theme-reviewers] Prefixing Non-Global Variables

Evan Henley henleyedition at gmail.com
Wed May 28 00:15:56 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This is regarding the following ticket: https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18381

There is some conflict over the interpretation of the rules for prefixing variables:

> Themes are required to use theme-slug ( or a reasonably unique slug) as a prefix for anything in the public namespace, including all custom function names, classes, hooks, public/global variables, database entries (Theme options, post custom metadata, etc.)

I am being told I need to prefix every variable used in my theme. Is it correct that even non-global variables need to be prefixed?

For instance, I’m told that $title needs to be changed to $counterpoint_title:

function counterpoint_no_title($title) {
    if ( $title == '' ) $title = __('Untitled', 'counterpoint');
    return $title;
}
add_filter( 'the_title', 'counterpoint_no_title' );

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan