[theme-reviewers] Can we use a template file instead using front-page.php

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Mar 20 10:50:32 UTC 2014

Yes. If the obvious intent is for the template to be used on the site front
page, then you must use front-page.php.

If, on the other hand, the template is a more arbitrary, featured content
template, etc., that is designed to be used not specifically as the site
front page, then you can use, e.g., template-featured.php.

Just don't call or describe it specifically as the site front page template.